Square Enix will apparently forgo a digital presentation covering the games it is yet to announce, because “making assets ready for such [a] show has become difficult due to Covid-19.” (via Destructoid).
Bloomberg reporter Takashi Mochizuki claimed that Square Enix will “announce new titles on [an] individual basis,” instead of collecting all of its announcements and broadcasting them in one dedicated show. This is… smart. In choosing this course, each game gets to lounge in the spotlight, without competing with the other games for attention. It also makes my job easier. Covering a flurry of games which have all been revealed in a twenty minute stint is not one of the most straightforward tasks to complete.
After E3 2020 had been officially cancelled, the developer and publisher stated that it would be “exploring other options” to showcase its games. Square Enix said that its “2020 line-up, and the next-generation that lies beyond, is stronger than ever,” despite also saying that it wouldn’t be making exclusives for either the PlayStation 5 nor Xbox Series X for a while. Now, we know that the company is going to stagger its presentations of its upcoming games.
Square Enix said it won’t hold online event to unveil this FY’s new releases around E3’s timing because making assets ready for such show has become difficult due to Covid-19. Instead, it will announce new titles on individual basis.
— Takashi Mochizuki (@6d6f636869) May 13, 2020
So, cheers, Square Enix. We’ve got the Summer Game Fest to look forward to over the coming weeks, plus the Guerrilla Collective which focuses on independent titles. Xbox 20/20 will offer a monthly update on the Xbox Series X as it approaches its launch, and publishers like Bethesda are doing their own thing when it tickles their fancy.